Some of our activities in the community include:
Honor Guard services at the Purple Heart Memorial and Tahoma National Cemetery
Memorial Day Programs
Voice of Democracy Audio Essay Contest for 9th through 12th grade students.
Patriot’s Pen Essay Contest for 6th through 8th grade students.
Cub Scout and Boy Scout program support.
Service Officers provide aid and support for local veterans and their families.
Veterans Day addresses at local schools and retirement facilities
- Honor Guard –
Perform funeral and memorial services for deceased veterans at Tahoma National Cemetery and other cemeteries around Enumclaw. The honor Guard carries the colors at parades and sporting events.
- Patriot Pen and Voice of Democracy Essay Competition / Scholarships –
Support writing and patriotism through local participation in this nationally sponsored essay competition. Local, district and state awards are given. National award winners could be awarded up to $36,000 dollars!
- Memorial Day, –
- VFW members and area cub and boy scouts place flags on veteran’s graves at the Evergreen Cemetery
- Flag retirement ceremony for all flags that are no longer serviceable. This is a joint project with Enumclaw Scouts.
- Memorial Day Remembrance Ceremony at the Veterans Memorial Park (Purple Heart Monument)
- Supporting other Veterans –
- Post service officers help veterans with the sometimes complicated process of filing VA disability claims
- Provide transportation for veterans to VA medical appointments.
- Support and help local veterans in need.
- Fund Raising –
Twice each year we conduct the Buddy Poppy Program – proceeds support the VFW National Home for Children, Compass House, and other veteran services.
- Veteran’s Day –
Each November our post provides veteran speaker to share their experiences Enumclaw schools, and a program at a local retirement home.
- VA Bingo –
This program provides support and recreation for long term patients at the VA Hospital in Seattle. Our Post and Auxiliary members prepare and serve food and refreshments to these veteran patients.
- Flag Retirement –
Our post collects old, worn out American flags for proper retirement.
Consider joining us and put your skills to good use! Continue the good work you started as a service member and join us in helping your fellow comrades and our community.
Check if you are eligible to join as a VFW Member here.